Re: lintian and (non-)conffiles in /etc

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Atsuhito Kohda wrote:
> > Yes. If you include a configuration file (and thus any /etc file) inside the
> > .deb, it MUST be marked a conffile.
>
> I doubt this.  On the contrary, Policy says as follows;
>
>      The distinction between these two is important; they are not
>      interchangeable concepts.  Almost all `conffile's are configuration
>      files, but many configuration files are not `conffiles'.

It says nothing about files shipped inside .debs. Many configuration files
are not conffiles, but in that case they must NOT be shipped within a deb,
they must be created by maintainer scripts.

If you manage to convince me policy says otherwise, I will have a policy
proposal to fix such an atrocious failure by the next day -- we have already
changed policy to make damn sure it was against policy to ship stuff in /etc
not marked as conffiles.

It is a sadistic QA failure to have stuff inside a deb that goes in /etc and
is not marked as a conffile (you will be called a moron or worse by people
rightfully pissed at their configuration files being silently overwritten),
and a LARTable QA serious offense to change anything marked as a conffile in
maintainer scripts (because dpkg will keep annoying the users at every
upgrade -- see past incarnations of the lynx (and I'm ashamed to say, my own
fetchmail) package for reference).

> I guess that the lintian's message
> N:   Files in /etc must be marked conffiles if they are included in a
> N:   package. Otherwise they should be created by maintainer scripts.
> N:
> N:   Refer to Policy Manual, section 11.7 for details.
>
> is a bug of lintian.  Furthemore, the recent feature of dh_installdeb

No, it is not. Well, actually, there is a technical error there: files in
/etc may be created by just about anything, including the user, and there's
nothing wrong with it.

  Henrique Holschuh