Re: lintian and (non-)conffiles in /etc

On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 09:47:00PM -0500, Itai Zukerman wrote:
> Lintian says:
>
> N:   Files in /etc must be marked conffiles if they are included in a
> N:   package. Otherwise they should be created by maintainer scripts.
> N:
> N:   Refer to Policy Manual, section 11.7 for details.
>
> This is a lintian error.
>
> But, I can't find in anything in section 11.7 (version 3.5.6.0 of the
> Policy Manual) that says all files in /etc included in a package must
> be marked as conffiles.  The closest thing seems to be:
>
>   Any configuration files created or used by your package must reside
>   in /etc.
>
> Could someone point me to the relevent policy section that corresponds
> to the lintian error above?

If all files in /etc are user editable configuration files (which is
implied by the definition of /etc), then it is pretty safe to imply that
the all must be conffiles. Am I missing a case where a file in /etc
belongs there by definition of /etc, and does not fit the case where it
is user editable?

Ben

/                   Ben Collins    --    Debian GNU/Linux                  \