Re: lintian and (non-)conffiles in /etc

On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 10:17:58PM -0500, Itai Zukerman wrote:
> 2.  it really is policy that configuration files included in a package
>     must be marked as conffiles (though I can't find that in the
>     Policy Manual), and

If a file is included in the .deb it'll be overwritten each time a new
version of the package is unpacked, thus losing any changes the user's
made, *unless* it is marked as a conffile.

> why do we even need conffiles?  Haven't I just defined a conffile as a
> file in /etc included in a package?

Pretty much, yes.

Cheers,
aj

 "Security here. Yes, maam. Yes. Groucho glasses. Yes, we're on it.
   C'mon, guys. Somebody gave an aardvark a nose-cut: somebody who
    can't deal with deconstructionist humor. Code Blue."
		-- Mike Hoye,
		      see http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/armadillos.txt