lintian and (non-)conffiles in /etc

Lintian says:

N:   Files in /etc must be marked conffiles if they are included in a
N:   package. Otherwise they should be created by maintainer scripts.
N:
N:   Refer to Policy Manual, section 11.7 for details.

This is a lintian error.

But, I can't find in anything in section 11.7 (version 3.5.6.0 of the
Policy Manual) that says all files in /etc included in a package must
be marked as conffiles.  The closest thing seems to be:

  Any configuration files created or used by your package must reside
  in /etc.

Could someone point me to the relevent policy section that corresponds
to the lintian error above?

--
Itai Zukerman  <http://www.math-hat.com/~zukerman/>