Re: Mozilla and testing

On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 10:01:01AM -0500, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > right now mozilla is not considered eligible for testing, and its
> > arm's fault.
> Correct.  Other possible issues are not even being considered because it is
> not up-to-date on all architectures.  You are agreeing with me.

There's actually a harder problem: mozilla and mozilla-chatzilla are both
arch: all packages that don't actually work on all architectures due to
dependencies on mozilla-browser and mozilla-mailnews, which appear to
never have build on any of hppa, mips, mipsel or s390, and to no longer
build on arm. If mozilla and mozilla-chatzilla were added to testing,
they'd end up broken on all those architectures which isn't okay.

In short: don't use arch: all packages unless they actually *work* on all
architectures.

This can be achieved by either making them arch: any instead; by removing
the dependencies and allowing them to be installed on other arches (if
this actually makes sense in context - for mozilla it almost certainly
doesn't); or by going out of your way as maintainer to ensure that your
package actually builds everywhere (which ain't easy with the number of
architectures these days and the general flakiness of the toolchain in many
places).

Cheers,
aj

 "Security here. Yes, maam. Yes. Groucho glasses. Yes, we're on it.
   C'mon, guys. Somebody gave an aardvark a nose-cut: somebody who
    can't deal with deconstructionist humor. Code Blue."
		-- Mike Hoye,
		      see http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/armadillos.txt