editor alternatives

Wondering, as I prefer to have something simple like nano as my editor,
also since nano is on boot-floppies, etc., I don't like having vi as
default editor, it also confuses nearly everyone I know <g> (And causes
me more time helping them out when they don't quit vi right, or simply
are completely lost when they end up with it.)

So I update-alternatives --config editor, and set nano to my default
editor. I just wonder if we don't want nano to have a higher priority
than nvi? How do we decide about this kind of thing?

Hugo van der Merwe