Re: Testing menu support in window managers and other menu-enabled packages

On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 09:10:21PM +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:
> --- Does it support user defined menu entry in ~/.menurc?

You don't address this one.

> First window managers that does not have menus by design:
> 9wm, aewm, amaterus, amaterus,  gwm,  ion,  lwm, oroborus, phluid, ratpoison,  wm2
>
> Note however that aewm and phluid use gtk-panel, but gtk-panel does not use the
> debian menu system. oroborus use deskmenu, but deskmenu is broken.

Note that aewm defines mouse keys to represent applications.  Most of the
rest could use deskmenu, which doesn't seem to be broken here.  Works,
supports the entire Debian hierarchy, etc.

> Second the lists of window managers with menu that are OK:
> asclassic, fvwm95, fvwm, icewm-lite, icewm, sawfish, uwm
>
> Third the list of wm that does not seem to support user defined menu:
> afterstep  blackbox  enlightenment  fvwm1  olvwm  olwm  pdmenu  qvwm  scwm  tvtwm  twm  xfce

Afterstep certainly DOES support a user-defined menu.  It's very fvwm2-like
in it's language.  Blackbox as well.  The blackbox package uses the Debian
menu system by default and can INCLUDE the Debian menu within its own,
allowing for customization if you like.

Bet you can tell that I use blackbox. :)

Enlightenment also supports a user-defined menu.

So does XFCE.

Most of the others I haven't tried.

> Fourth the list of wm that create wrong submenu with / in menu names,
> because they use file hierarchy to make menu:
> afterstep, flwm

I'm not sure what this means.

> Fifth the list of wm where menu is totally broken:
> ctwm, deskmenu

Again, how is deskmenu broken?  If you can't get it to come up, do note
that it's not compatible with all window managers.  Those that capture
clicks on the root window themselves are really going to mess deskmenu up.
I've been using it with Oroborus for a LONG time now, but it doesn't get
along with, say, aewm or blackbox, because both of those apparently capture
the root window.

It *had* a bug where it was putting the menu-method file in the wrong
directory, but I believe that's been fixed.

> eight, package that suggest (at least) the menu package but does not
> provide menu-method:

<list of packages deleted>

These are mostly all applications.  Applications don't provide menu-method.
Window managers that want to participate in the menu system do.  I note
that you have ion in this list, which doesn't support a menu, and
icewm-common, which is hardly something NEEDING a menu.  About the only
thing I see here with a problem is sawfish-gnome, and it suggests menu only
because it's the Gnome wm, and the *panel* supports the menu system.

Or perhaps you're saying that they do not provide a menu file?  Some of
these there's no reason for them to.

--
Marc Wilson
mwilson@moonkingdom.net