Testing menu support in window managers and other menu-enabled packages

Hello Developers,

I have made extensive test about the support of menu in
window manager and other menu packages.

I was concerned by the following issues:

--- Does it support "/" in menu name ?

--- Does it support user defined menu entry in ~/.menurc?

I have made tests by hand, so I may easily have made mistakes.

here the result with two week old debian/testing:

First window managers that does not have menus by design:
9wm, aewm, amaterus, amaterus,  gwm,  ion,  lwm, oroborus, phluid, ratpoison,  wm2

Note however that aewm and phluid use gtk-panel, but gtk-panel does not use the
debian menu system. oroborus use deskmenu, but deskmenu is broken.

Second the lists of window managers with menu that are OK:
asclassic, fvwm95, fvwm, icewm-lite, icewm, sawfish, uwm

Third the list of wm that does not seem to support user defined menu:
afterstep  blackbox  enlightenment  fvwm1  olvwm  olwm  pdmenu  qvwm  scwm  tvtwm  twm  xfce

Fourth the list of wm that create wrong submenu with / in menu names,
because they use file hierarchy to make menu:
afterstep, flwm

Fifth the list of wm where menu is totally broken:
ctwm, deskmenu

Sixth, the lists of wm with menu-method that broke when update-menu is run by
non root users.

pwm,kwin
(kwin is the KDE wm)

Seventh, the list of wm with non FHS compliant menu-method when run as root:
kwin
(kwin is the KDE wm)

In fact kwin want to put symlink in /usr/share/applnk to
/var/lib/applnk.

This is wrong because update-menu can be run by the super-user by hand
(e.g. after adding menus in /etc/menu) and then /usr can be read-only.

eight, package that suggest (at least) the menu package but does not
provide menu-method:

xterm+thai,xisp,w3m,asclock-gtk,icewm-common,gnome-panel,rio,sawfish-gnome,genesis,xcoral,bbmail,xmahjongg,dwww,linpopup,kdm,nonlock,ion,geneweb,w3mmee,guitar,xhangglider,taper

(I do not state it is a bug...)

I do not plan to report all this problems in the BTS, but it give
a rough outline of the real menu support in Debian.

Please tell me if I have missed some wm, or make some errors, email me !

HTH,

--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>
Please CC me on reply