Re: Should I split the Atari800 package?

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 03:16:35PM -0400, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> So, the first question is: Is it worth splitting this into 4 packages:
> atari800-common, atari800-svgalib, atari800-curses, and atari800-x11?

I wouldn't, and it would probably be a Policy violation to do so.

See Policy 12.8.1.

> The second point I need help with involves the ROM files that the end user
> must download for themselves. I'd like to provide a "standard" location
> for these files, most likely /usr/share/atari800, and I'm concerned about
> how an upgrade will work under these conditions. The admin has installed
> the needed ROM files into the provided directory, and then upgrades the
> package. Are the ROM files going to still be there after the upgrade?

I don't think files that aren't handled by the package manager should be
put in a directory that is managed by the package manager.

I would use /usr/local, and did with xtrs, a package with a very similar
function to yours.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     You could wire up a dead rat to a
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     DIMM socket and the PC BIOS memory