Should I split the Atari800 package?

Thanks to the help I got with autoconf, I'm about ready to release the
newest version of the Atari800 package.

I've been considering splitting the package but I'm not sure just how
helpful such a thing would be. (I know it impacts the size of Packages
files, etc...)

In the past, the package contained three separate binaries and a
controlling script to run them. There is an svgalib, an ncurses, and an x11
binary, which each consume between 175 and 225 K bytes of space, so the
overall savings in space is around .5 Meg if you don't need more than one
binary.

So, the first question is: Is it worth splitting this into 4 packages:
atari800-common, atari800-svgalib, atari800-curses, and atari800-x11?

The second point I need help with involves the ROM files that the end user
must download for themselves. I'd like to provide a "standard" location
for these files, most likely /usr/share/atari800, and I'm concerned about
how an upgrade will work under these conditions. The admin has installed
the needed ROM files into the provided directory, and then upgrades the
package. Are the ROM files going to still be there after the upgrade?

My impression is that these files will not be removed, as dpkg usually
complains when a directory to be deleted still has contents. Can I depend
on this behavior?

Waiting is,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-