Re: Should I split the Atari800 package?

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Branden Robinson wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 03:16:35PM -0400, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> > So, the first question is: Is it worth splitting this into 4 packages:
> > atari800-common, atari800-svgalib, atari800-curses, and atari800-x11?
>
> I wouldn't, and it would probably be a Policy violation to do so.
>
> See Policy 12.8.1.

It isn't clear what this section has to do with the atari800 package.

The paragraph you quote provides for package splitting under specific
circumstances, (in fact it requires the split) but it seems that this only
comes in force if the package is of higher priority than the X components
it depends upon. This is not the case here (although you seem to read a
rejection).

I would be better served by a statement about the inappropriate times to
split a package rather than the appropriate ones...

I'm leaning toward not splitting, simply on the "added workload" argument.

Incremental upgrade capability would be a good thing for Debian ;-)

> > The second point I need help with involves the ROM files that the end user
> > must download for themselves. I'd like to provide a "standard" location
> > for these files, most likely /usr/share/atari800, and I'm concerned about
> > how an upgrade will work under these conditions. The admin has installed
> > the needed ROM files into the provided directory, and then upgrades the
> > package. Are the ROM files going to still be there after the upgrade?
>
> I don't think files that aren't handled by the package manager should be
> put in a directory that is managed by the package manager.

Understood. I don't like the mix either...

> I would use /usr/local, and did with xtrs, a package with a very similar
> function to yours.

This is the logical place for control by the sysadmin. The problem is that
I don't control the communication between admin and user. The user looks
at my docs to run the program, and the admin can put the roms anywhere, or
nowhere.

The end result is that each user keeps a copy of the roms in their home
directories somewhere and tells the atari startup logic where they are. I
was trying to reduce this duplication...

Thanks for the help. It looks like the status quo rules ;-)

Luck,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-