Re: upgrade woes

Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> writes:
> Richard Kettlewell <rjk@terraraq.org.uk> was heard to say:

>> Last night I decided to upgrade one of my machines from stable to
>> testing.
>>
>> It's still going, 24 hours later (with breaks for sleep and work
>> etc, but still).
>>
>> It's needed constant attention: apt installs a few packages, then
>> demands interaction before it installing any more.
>
> What sort of interaction?

It complains about some errors, stops, goes back to the dselect
screen, and I have to select "install" again.

Many of the errors amount to trying to install a package before its
conflicts are out of the way (and the same ones appear repeatedly).

"dpkg -iGOEB *.deb" requires less human interaction in exactly the
same situation.  I'm just surprised apt can't manage the same.

> Are you seeing failed installations (a bug), interactions that don't
> go through debconf (a bug), dpkg config-file questions (not a bug),
> or some other issue?

There are indeed configuration-related questions, but that's not what
I'm referring to.

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/