Re: Wrong dependencies for packages on build, how to fix?

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 08:21:00PM +0300, M. Tavasti wrote:
> Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> writes:
> > No, indeed. In fact you often want to manage them by hand so that you
> > don't make dependencies on your package unnecessarily tight, which
> > hinders upgrade ordering and 'testing' and that sort of thing.
>
> Wait a sec. We were talking about versions which package provides, and
> that should change on every version, right?

No, we were talking about the dependencies requested by library packages
in packages that depend on them, typically specifying a minimum version
of the library package. Those should only be changed when the library
adds interfaces not supported in versions of the library before that
minimum version.

The libtool info documentation has a good discussion on library
versioning.