Wrong dependencies for packages on build, how to fix?

I'm using stable/potato. Sometimes I want some software which is not
available for stable, but is for testing. Then I build packages
following this procedure:

- I have potato-ported debian-devel tools installed from :
    deb http://potato.grey.debian.pl/ stable .
- I get package with apt-get source foobar
- I edit foobar-1.1/debian/changelog to get version 1.1-2 changed to
  1.1-1potato, to make sure package gets updated when I move from
  potato to woody. Comments welcome which is correct scheme for
  numbering packages.
- I run apt-get build-dep foobar, and all missing depencies are build,
  and installed first (Sometimes recursion is deep)
- After it, I run dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc

But sometimes new package get's wrong dependencies. For example
build xemacs21 depends on libldap2 (>= 2.0.14-1), and libldap2
installed on system is 2.0.14-0potato. And dependencies are not in
control file, they come from substvars. And it is generated with some
debhelper-scripts. Debhelper says to be version 3.0.15potato1, which
is 3.0.15 ported for potato.

Now I'd like to know how to fix this problem correctly. I know I can
run build, edit substvars, edit rules for reving generation of
substvars, and run build again, but is there better way to do it?

And should I report this as bug in debhelper? And original debhelper
or potato-ported?

(If you think this is on wrong list, tell me which would be better)

--
M. Tavasti /  tavastixx@iki.fi  /   +358-40-5078254
 Poista sähköpostiosoitteesta molemmat x-kirjaimet