upgrade woes

Last night I decided to upgrade one of my machines from stable to
testing.

It's still going, 24 hours later (with breaks for sleep and work etc,
but still).

It's needed constant attention: apt installs a few packages, then
demands interaction before it installing any more.

It's FAR less pain to do "cd /var/cache/apt/archive; dpkg -iGOEB
*.deb" - dpkg has only required restarting once so far, after it
segfaulted.  I have a 23Mb dpkg core file if anyone is interested.

Surely this is not how apt is supposed to work?

ttfn/rjk