Re: Propossed Project: Odyssey

On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 11:43:50AM -0400, Timothy H. Keitt wrote:
> Better yet, lets convince package maintainers not to unnecessarily
> update all their dependencies to the latest libs in unstable so that
> packages can be easily backported with 'apt-get -b source ...' My guess
> is that 60-90% of the packages in unstable do not require the latest lib
> versions to build, but that maintainers are defaulting their
> dependencies to be >= the latest version in unstable for no reason (of
> course, package name changes and package reorganization can throw a
> wrench into things). If maintainers default to only depend on what is in
> stable whenever possible, many many deb packages would compile just fine
> on both stable and unstable.
[snip]

I believe the default behaviour of the debhelper scripts is responsible
for this. I've never myself directly specified that my packages depend on
the latest possible libc, but I do run the latest libc, and so when I
build my packages, debhelper just picks up that version number.

Don't modify spaghetti code unless you can eat the consequences.