Re: Propossed Project: Odyssey

Better yet, lets convince package maintainers not to unnecessarily update all their dependencies to the latest libs in unstable so that packages can be easily backported with 'apt-get -b source ...' My guess is that 60-90% of the packages in unstable do not require the latest lib versions to build, but that maintainers are defaulting their dependencies to be >= the latest version in unstable for no reason (of course, package name changes and package reorganization can throw a wrench into things). If maintainers default to only depend on what is in stable whenever possible, many many deb packages would compile just fine on both stable and unstable.

T.