Re: make-kpkg and initrd

Norbert Veber <nveber@debian.org> wrote:
[snip]
> Why does debian use initrd? (just currious)  I manually do all my kernel
> stuff, without kernel-package, and without initrd, and I've never hard a
> problem.

Hello,
Because it is the only way to use _one_ precompiled kernel with
different hardware. You compile everything, including IDE-,
filesystem- and SCSI-drivers as modules and at _install-time_ generate
an initrd customized for the local hardware. If you compile the kernel
yourself for one machine, initrd is only useful in special cases (LVM,
forcing which disk gets assigned /dev/sda, by forcing the sequence of
detection of SCSI-adapters).

Most Linux-distributions use initrd, at least if you've SCSI-Hardware.
           cu andreas
--
Hey, da ist ein Ballonautomat auf der Toilette!
Echelon: sex violence tower XXX Boom human rights Islam Kate Winslet