Re: make-kpkg and initrd

#include <hallo.h>
Lauri Tischler wrote on Mon Oct 22, 2001 um 09:36:32AM:
> > > initrd=/boot/initrd
> > >
> > > However, the standard make-kpkg install process with '--initrd' flag
> > > actually creates the file /boot/initrd-2.4.x
> >
> > WHAT THE FUCK?
> >
> > The current setup uses a SINGLE initrd for ALL kernels?!?!?!

Don't worry, it is just a symlink to the last created initrd image. Hm,
there were some buggy versions of kernel-package, the 2.4.10 packages in
woody maybe have been created with a such one.

> Even the kernel-image-2.4.10-k6 in woody does not work, after I installed
> it I would get a panic.

Thank Herbert Xu for closing the RC bug I reported once and making
2.4.10 images go into woody. The (in my case) reason were broken
firewire modules in 2.4.10. This prevented depmod from creating
modules.dep file on the initrd image, so the modprobe on it became
virtually unuseable. No modprobe, no harddisk driver, no root
filesystem access. PANIC.

> Boot up with rescuefloppy, re-install 2.4.9 and things work.
> Note that after the installation on 2.4.10, even 2.4.9 would not boot.

Please try 2.4.12 versions from Sid, should work much better.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
I am Stefan Raab of Borg. You will listen to Wadde Hadde Dudeda. Good
songs are futile.