Re: RFC: upstream-link in the BTS and package descriptions

On Sun, Oct 21, 2001 at 10:15:53PM +0200, Peter Mathiasson wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 21, 2001 at 07:40:27PM +0200, Sebastian Rittau wrote:

> > What is wrong with reporting upstream bugs in the Debian BTS?
>
> Wrong is not the right word, but most maintainers can't fix upstream
> bugs, and therefore only forwards the bugreport to upstream.

But then this bug isn't listed in the Debian BTS, which means that there
may be duplicate reports and duplicate efforts. Also, I want to learn
about bugs in my packages, even if I can just forward them upstream. But
I'm also often able to fix them, make a patch in my next upload, and
forward this patch. Finally, I expect Debian package maintainers to be
in better contact with a particular package's upstream than the random
bug submitter.

 - Sebastian