Re: mkboot -i from debianutils-1.15 in sid and boot loader != lilo

On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 09:22:54PM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 11:27:02AM -0700, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> > I've just recently switched over to grub as my boot loader, but I have one
> > frustrating problem.
> >
> > when I "make install" in a kernel tree, it detects that lilo has been
> > removed (or else it'll want to overwrite my grub boot block) and asks me if
> > I want to create a boot disk.
> >
> > If I try to create a boot disk when the prompt comes up, it does this:
> >
> > ##################
> > In order to use the new kernel image you have just installed, you
> > will need to reboot the machine.  First, however, you will need to
> > either make a bootable floppy diskette or re-run LILO.
> >
> > Checking for LILO...No
> >
> > Should I make a bootdisk? (y/n) y
>
> You should have just pressed n there.

If I press "n" it makes make install error out, and then it doesn't continue.

> > It looks like /usr/sbin/mkboot is very dependant on lilo.
> >
> > What can I do to help resolve this?
>
> Well, the bug's been filed, #98262, we can wait for it to be resolved. :)

Ok.

It looks like I'm going to have to write a script to install my kernels
since there isn't a make install target on ppc...

Hmm, I wonder if I should just submit a Makefile patch for ppc...

Mike