mkboot -i from debianutils-1.15 in sid and boot loader != lilo

Hi,

I've just recently switched over to grub as my boot loader, but I have one
frustrating problem.

when I "make install" in a kernel tree, it detects that lilo has been
removed (or else it'll want to overwrite my grub boot block) and asks me if
I want to create a boot disk.

If I try to create a boot disk when the prompt comes up, it does this:

##################
In order to use the new kernel image you have just installed, you
will need to reboot the machine.  First, however, you will need to
either make a bootable floppy diskette or re-run LILO.

Checking for LILO...No

Should I make a bootdisk? (y/n) y

Insert a floppy diskette into your boot drive, and press <Return>.

Creating a lilo bootdisk...
mkdir /tmp/boot25215
mke2fs -q /dev/fd0
mke2fs 1.25 (20-Sep-2001)
mount -t ext2 /dev/fd0 /tmp/boot25215
cd /tmp/boot25215
cp /boot/vmlinuz /boot/boot.b .
cp: cannot stat /boot/boot.b': No such file or directory
set +e; cd /; umount /dev/fd0; rmdir /tmp/boot25215

There was a problem creating the boot diskette.  Please make sure that
you inserted the diskette into the correct drive and that the diskette
is not write-protected.

Would you like to try again? (y/n) n

WARNING: Your system is probably unbootable now.  After correcting any
problems, rerun this script with the command mkboot -installkernel'.
make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
/home/src/lk2.4/2.4.12-ac3+netdev_ramdom+preempt+vm_hogstop2/arch/i386/boot'
make: *** [install] Error 2

It looks like /usr/sbin/mkboot is very dependant on lilo.

What can I do to help resolve this?

Mike