Re: editor alternatives?

On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 10:31:08AM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> If someone has to hold your hand for 5 minutes to teach you the
> basics of an editor it means the editor is too difficult for a
> new user who is installing his own system and does not have help
> at hand.

I suggest then that we need something that gives function key labels
like old HP terminals (and others, I'm sure, but I always used HPs).

It must *not* be modal, as that confuses the hell out of newbies.

It should not use abbreviations that newbies won't understand (like ae's
"^X^W" or whatever for <ctrl>-X <ctrl>-W (hence suggesting function key
labels above).

It should work for everybody (encodings etc.).

It should be usable on the smallest terminal screen you can find in an
old copy of termcap.

Ideally, it should go into line-mode and display *very* simple instructions
at startup if you don't have a cursor-addressable terminal (like a teletype).

I haven't seen such a beast yet.

--
Nick Phillips -- nwp@lemon-computing.com
You will wish you hadn't.