Re: Keeping information on the build system

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 09:30:46PM +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:
> Still, I would like you allow a way for overriding it for human build,
> when we can have several package installed that can fulfill the dependencies,
> maybe interactively (output the list of possibility to fulfill the build-deps
> and ask the human builder to choose).

Hm, I'm not sure this would be good.  The Right Way(TM) would be to
find out which of the alternatives available on the system were used -
this may be easy to automate if dpkg's alternatives mechanism was used.

But even in cases which we can easily detect from a script, I'm
concerned about the reproducibility of the package - most probably the
build-deps were not strict enough.

I should check what the policy says on this - IIRC it doesn't say
much.  Maybe we should enforce something so that there is only one way
to build a package ?  That would get rid of the problem you mention,
is the same time as it would improve the reproducibility of binary
packages.

> It seem you ahve wrote a perl library to parse build-essential ?

Not completely - the code is derived from dpkg-checkbuilddeps.  I've
submitted a wishlist bug to have this integrated into dpkg-dev.

> I have a similar library in the new depcheck
> <http://people.debian.org/~ballombe/dpkg-depcheck.tgz>
>
> May be we should merge them?

Well, why not :)

PS: your Mail-Followup-To is wrongly set.
--
Yann Dirson    <ydirson@altern.org> |    Why make M$-Bill richer & richer ?
Debian-related: <dirson@debian.org> |   Support Debian GNU/Linux: