Re: reconfiguring locales in base-config?

#include <hallo.h>
Joey Hess wrote on Thu Oct 18, 2001 um 12:55:33AM:
> Hm. In a new install, locales is going to be installed by debootstrap,
> which will bypass the questions about which locales to generate. I
> wonder if I should make base-config reconfigure locales, to give users a
> chance to configure this as part of an install? It seems this might be
> very important to certian non-English users.

Since we allready have localized BFs, I imagine the following:
(localized) debootstrap on BFs ask the user something like:
"Would you like to set the current language as the default system
language?"
If YES, debootstrap puts the corresponding parts into /etc/locale.gen,
$LANG into /etc/environment and calls locale-gen in a chroot.
If NO, debootstrap asks "Would you like to reconfigure language and
localisation settings later?"
If YES, debootstrap writes a special flag into /etc/locale.gen (or
wherever). Later, baseconfig would check this mark and force locales
reconfiguration if needed.

BTW, since locales allready use debconf, it would not hurt to interact
with the user (the similar way as on locale generation) and ask for
setting the LANG value into /etc/environment.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
Es ist einfacher Linux zu konfigurieren, als mit Windows zu leben.
anonymous in dcouln