Re: reconfiguring locales in base-config?

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Ben Collins wrote:
> > To that matter, presenting the raw list of locales might confuse users
> > who are not familiar with locale codes ("gosh this looks complicated,
> > I'm not going to look at it"). Like in tasksel VS dselect, it how about
> > making another mode with just languages and that will enable all locales
> > of a specific language?
>
> Or better yet, how about just presenting the names in /etc/locale.alias?

grep "english" /etc/locale.alias

returns nothing, which is not really the way to go ("huh? Can't choose
English? What kind of crap is this?"). And no, there's no chance for a
consensus on what "English" should mean, as a recent flamewar showed.

OTOH, even if there is an alias, not everything is working the way it
should:

grep "dutch" /etc/locale.alias

returns

dutch		nl_NL.ISO-8859-1

And while I do speak Dutch, I prefer nl_BE. Using ISO-8859-15, not -1.

> Give the names an initial caps and convert it to the specified alias for
> generating, and all should be good.

I much prefer Oliver's idea here. Create a file that maps all language
abbreviations to their full name; sth like

nl Dutch
en English
es Spanish
pt Portuguese

easy to filter out the full name of a language-part of your locale
definition; this way, first you choose a language, then you choose
your locale. Immediately works around the problems appearing with the
Gnome frontend, too.

Isn't that a good idea?

--
wouter dot verhelst at advalvas dot be