Re: apache2: clearing the air [please read]

On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Joey Hess wrote:

> Tomas Pospisek wrote:
> > On Thu, 11 Oct 2001, Joey Hess wrote:
> >
> > > You're saying there's not some way to take a simple/standard apache.conf
> > > and transform it into a config file that will make apache2 do the same
> > > thing?
> >
> > The config file here contains only minor changes from the shipped default
> > and still the upgrade has been failing more often than not. But you are
> > expecting the transition from a1 to a2 to be automagic never the less?
>
> No, if it can't be automated, it can't be automated, and admins will
> have to do it by hand. The fact remains that a *lot* of admins are
> eventually going to want to upgrade to apache2, and the upgrade path
> should be as painless as possible.
>
> If it already requires manual config file conversion, then stacking
> vhosting changes and default web document root changes on top of that is
> beginning to ask a heck of a lot from the admin. If we make it too hard
> we will just get a lot of admins swearing, compiling the new version of
> apache from sources, and losing faith in debian.

What you describe exactly happened here:

after the x-th upgrade that broke my running apache config and a lot of
swearing (mind you again, our setup here is very simple and differs only
minimally from the default) I first thought about moving on to compiling
apache from source - apache-toolbox would've helped - but I didn't have
the time so I just stopped upgrading apache unless I was *forced* to do
it. I don't know about others.

(Which is not to say that I didn't appreciate netgod's effort, he just
couldn't keep up.)

> And I'm concerned that the focus of these apache2 packages that
> have been produced is not such upgrades, and that the people who have
> worked on them have seemed to entirely disregrade that problem in the
> mail at the head of this thread.

Your concern may be valid - you have to check with them.
*t

PS: Checked with ispell for Branden "*plonk*" Robinson's comfort.

             Tomas Pospisek
	     http://sourcepole.ch
	     Tel: +41 (81) 330 77 11