Re: apache2: clearing the air [please read]

Tomas Pospisek wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Oct 2001, Joey Hess wrote:
>
> > You're saying there's not some way to take a simple/standard apache.conf
> > and transform it into a config file that will make apache2 do the same
> > thing?
>
> The config file here contains only minor changes from the shipped default
> and still the upgrade has been failing more often than not. But you are
> expecting the transition from a1 to a2 to be automagic never the less?

No, if it can't be automated, it can't be automated, and admins will
have to do it by hand. The fact remains that a *lot* of admins are
eventually going to want to upgrade to apache2, and the upgrade path
should be as painless as possible.

If it already requires manual config file conversion, then stacking
vhosting changes and default web document root changes on top of that is
beginning to ask a heck of a lot from the admin. If we make it too hard
we will just get a lot of admins swearing, compiling the new version of
apache from sources, and losing faith in debian.

And I'm concerned that the focus of these apache2 packages that
have been produced is not such upgrades, and that the people who have
worked on them have seemed to entirely disregrade that problem in the
mail at the head of this thread.

--
see shy jo