Re: Keeping information on the build system

Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> But even in this case, I see no need for an extra header telling which
> version of a certain tool or something likewise has been used. When a
> program has been compiled, it works; no matter which version of autoconf
> you used, no matter of which compiler you used, a compiled program works.

.. except for when the compiler is broken, or the kernel is broken, or
dpkg-deb is broken or debhelper is broken, or what have you. There are
plenty of things to break and seem to produce a valid deb that is still
horribly wrong. What Yann is trying to do is worthwhile, it would be
nice to be able to grep for packages built with a broken version of a
particular tool.

--
see shy jo