Re: Keeping information on the build system

[please CC me on followup]
On Sat, Oct 13, 2001 at 01:28:36PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > > Build-Depends was created so that a package could be built easily. Not so
> > > that you'd know what software is used to accomplish the build.
> >
> > Should this fact stop us from adding the missing information to
> > accomplish that goal ?
>
> The question remains whether that is a valid goal. It just adds clutter
> that doesn't serve any purpose. What you want (being able to build without
> having all packages in build-essential installed) is currently possible.

Wrong, it's not what I want, please re-read the beginning of this thread.

What I want is a way to tell which versions of which packages were
used in building a specific deb, so that we can know by comparing this
with newly availabe versions whether that deb has to be rebuilt or not.

> And I'm quite sure that you don't want to go through all packages having
> "Essential: yes" and decide whether you really need them or not.

I never wrote this.

> > Did I wrote that any package marked Build-Unused had to be removed ?
>
> No, you want to add this header so that people can know which packages can
> be removed if they want to. It doesn't make sense, IMHO.

...so that people/robots doing builds in a chrooted environment do not
have to uselessly waste CPU cycles to install useless packages.  But
anyway the current discussion is mostly a spinof of the original
point, trying to address joeyh's concerns about my current
dh_buildinfo script.

[stripped off-topic stuff]
> The choice of which compiler is used should be left to the people that are
> actually compiling the thing. There's more in the world than gcc/g++.
> Think stackguard, for example. Your proposal is not really creating
> possibilities, while it makes some things difficult.

I absolutely don't understand what would be more difficult by
extending the expressive power of the current system.

--
Yann Dirson    <ydirson@altern.org> |    Why make M$-Bill richer & richer ?
Debian-related: <dirson@debian.org> |   Support Debian GNU/Linux: