Re: Keeping information on the build system

On Sun, 14 Oct 2001, Joey Hess wrote:

> Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > But even in this case, I see no need for an extra header telling which
> > version of a certain tool or something likewise has been used. When a
> > program has been compiled, it works; no matter which version of autoconf
> > you used, no matter of which compiler you used, a compiled program works.
>
> .. except for when the compiler is broken, or the kernel is broken, or
> dpkg-deb is broken or debhelper is broken, or what have you. There are
> plenty of things to break and seem to produce a valid deb that is still
> horribly wrong.

Hmm. You've got a point there.

> What Yann is trying to do is worthwhile, it would be
> nice to be able to grep for packages built with a broken version of a
> particular tool.

That's right, but in that case a "Build-Unused" (which he suggested) is
not something that would serve this (indeed valid) goal.

--
wouter dot verhelst at advalvas in Belgium

This is Linux world. On a quiet day, you can hear Windows reboot.