Re: apache2: clearing the air [please read]

On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 06:08:34AM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 11:57:14AM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> > Daniel Stone wrote:
> > > If you scrolled down further, you'd see that apache2 doesn't provide any
> > > of the webserver packages. (It doesn't conflict with apache, mind, as it
> > > was designed to, and does, work side-by-side).

> > This strikes me as quite short-sighted. What about transitions from
> > apache to apache2? Is debian not even going to try to provide an upgrade
> > path from the one to the other? apache 1.x WILL die some day.

> I'm not getting your point. They run side-by-side, but I don't know if
> an upgrade path will ever be possible, because of the wildly different
> nature of the two. Have we got a Netscape->Konq upgrade path yet? (Don't
> laugh, it's proposing more or less the same thing).

Thbbbt.  You mean like the window that pops up the first time you run
galeon on a system as a given user, asking you if you want to import
your Netscape bookmarks?

And most people are expecting Apache 2.0 to supersede and replace Apache
1.x in their hosting environments.  Making more work for the many admins
who /don't/ want to run Apache 1.x and 2.0 side-by-side just because
they /can/ be run side-by-side doesn't make for a very enticing approach
to me.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer