Re: automake 1.5

On my i386 machine, of those Colin listed, only libnss-db
and shadow fail to build with automake 1.5 installed.
Both appear to fail because depcomp does not exist.

2/11 fail.  Applying that with reckless disregard for
statistics to 294 means that 53 packages are likely broken.
We've heard libsdl1.2, all of KDE (those that derive from
kdevelop), gnumeric, and gnome-core.

The rest of those Colin listed don't seem to use automake
during apt's build process, but it's hard to tell.

An alternate solution would be to package automake-1.5
so that it adds depcomp automatically to the build tree.
I don't know how destructive this would be.  Perhaps it
could also be fixed to handle the spaces-vs-tabs problem
with -ourdir that afflicts gnome Makefile.am's?

Build output at http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/nspring/debian/

The output logs there were generated from:
#!/bin/csh
foreach pkg ( db2 db3 shadow tar textutils cyrus-sasl nano libnss-db make mtr pidentd )
  echo working on $pkg
  automake --version > $pkg.log
  fakeroot apt-get --build source $pkg >>& $pkg.log
  echo finished $pkg
end

-neil