Re: automake 1.5

On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 05:15:56AM -0500, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 02:25:38AM -0700, Neil Spring wrote:
> > I think deciding how to proceed would be easier if we
> > knew:
> >  1) how many of the 294 actually break
> >  2) how many are:
> >    a) fundamental automake 1.5 vs 1.4 architectural changes
> >    b) automake 1.5 new bugs
> >    c) upstream package bugs
> >  3) how many of the failures can't be fixed elegantly
> >    with Kevin's help to remove the automake dependency,
> >    or upstream (automake) bugfixes.

Agreed.

My guess is that most are category 2c.  Not that this mitigates the
real problem for Debian, of course.  It would help to have an idea of
the kinds of errors that are being made.  I expect that the gnome and
kde packages will be the worst case, because they seem to like poking
around into auto* internals.

> 4) how many of these are in base/standard, which are allegedly frozen
>    and trying to freeze respectively
>
> The following required/important/standard packages build-depend on
> automake (haven't checked tasks, though):
>
>   db2                   required
>   db3                   required
>   shadow                required
>   tar                   required
>   textutils             required
>   cyrus-sasl            important
>   nano                  important
>   libnss-db             standard
>   make                  standard
>   mtr                   standard
>   pidentd               standard
>
> Has anybody checked if all of the above still build?

I just verified that "tar" will build.  However, there is nothing in
debian/rules to call "automake", so I'm not sure why it has a
build-depends ...

I'm going to try to get "pbuilder" going and check the rest.

-S

--
by Rocket to the Moon,
by Airplane to the Rocket,