Re: Shall packages build-depend on GNU auto-tools?

On Mon, 2001-10-08 at 18:54, W. Borgert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> what do you think?  Shall packages build-depend on autoconf,
> automake, and libtool?  After all, the Debian maintainer
> (or even the upstream maintainer) will run these tools.  So
> debian/rules should just run ./configure && make.  Maybe
> a "touch Makefile.in configure" before might be useful, but
> the build-dependencies seem wrong to me.  As I understand,
> the GNU auto-tools should never be prerequisite to build a
> software package.  Do I miss sth. important here?

Pretty much on track.  The configure scripts and such should be fully
usable without having autoconf/automake installed.  Libtool may be
needed, though.  Otherwise, though, if a package requiers
automake/autoconf to build, it is considered a bug by the
autoconf/automake maintainers.  Also, many projects (like GNOME) wont
accept packages that can't be built without just ./configure && make &&
make install

Hope that clarifies.