Re: ITP: kernel-patch-2.4.10-pppoa -- kernel patch for PPP over ATM

On Sun, 7 Oct 2001, Russell Coker wrote:

> I downloaded the patch from:
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/axboe/PPPoATM/2.4.8-pre5/

Why do you need the kernel version in the package name?
make-kpkg will attempt to use the correct patch for the kernel and you can
have several versions of the patch inside a single package.

Having the version inside the package name means that you need to update
the patch with every kernel update (which are not infrequent) when
sometimes the same patch could be used for several versions.

It seems from the URL that the patch is originaly for 2.4.8 and not
2.4.10, Did you do any changes to the patch to make it apply cleanly or
was it cleanly applied without any change? if the latter than the version
number in package name is obviously wrong.

My kernel patch package (kernel-patch-tekram-dc3x5) has versions for 2.4
and 2.2 and it works correctly with either kernel.

I believe that placing the kernel version in the package name is
superfluos and only causes extra work for ftp-masters, package maintainers
and the users.

Baruch