Re: FYI: intent to NMU to fix SDL + static X extension library problem

On Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 10:56:03PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 02:10:33PM -0500, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 01:38:56PM -0400, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> > And a small fix for smpeg and sdl-mixer:
> > cd . && aclocal
> > cd . && automake --gnu Makefile
> > automake: Makefile.am: required file ./INSTALL' not found
> > automake: Makefile.am: required file ./NEWS' not found
> > automake: Makefile.am: required file ./AUTHORS' not found
> > automake: Makefile.am: required file ./ChangeLog' not found
> > [...]
> Yes, I touched them for the same reason you did.  I was not aware that
> dpkg-source ignores such things.  Rats.

Alternatively one could try to use "automake --foreign"
instead of "automake --gnu".  The automake manual states

  `foreign'
     Automake will check for only those things which are absolutely
     required for proper operations.  For instance, whereas GNU
     standards dictate the existence of a `NEWS' file, it will not be
     required in this mode.  The name comes from the fact that Automake
     is intended to be used for GNU programs; these relaxed rules are
     not the standard mode of operation.

Maybe this avoids these empty files.

Jochen
--