Re: FYI: intent to NMU to fix SDL + static X extension library problem

On Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 03:13:08PM -0700, Philippe Troin wrote:
> Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:
>
> > 1) Some of the X extension libraries (namely libXxf86dga, libXxf86vm,
> > and libXv) are available only as static libraries.  This is because
> > XFree86 wants these libraries available only in static form, and our
> > practice of shipping them this way is compliant with a Debian policy
> > proposal ratified in August[1].
>
> Why should libXxf86dga, libXxf86vm and libXv built statically only?
> I did a quick search and could not come up with any reason.

Apparently you didn't look very hard.

Package: xlibs-dev
Section: devel
Installed-Size: 11408
Maintainer: Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>
Source: xfree86
Version: 4.1.0-7
Replaces: xbase (<< 3.3.2.3a-2), xdevel, xpm4g-dev, xmanpages, xlib6g-dev (<< 4.0), xlib6g-static, libxfont-xtt-dev, xfs-xtt (<< 1:1.3.0.1-15)
Provides: libxpm4-dev, xmanpages
Depends: xlibs (>= 4.0.1-11), libc6-dev
Conflicts: xdevel, xlib6g-dev (<< 4.0), xlib6g-static, xpm4g-dev, xmanpages
 xlibs-dev provides static versions of the libraries provided in xlibs, as
 well as several libraries that do not exist in shared object form for
 various reasons (such as the fact that their API's have not stabilized, or
 that they are deprecated).  Header files and manual pages are also
 provided.
 .
 The libraries available only in static form include:
  - libFS
  - libXau
  - libXdmcp
  - libXfont
  - libXfontcache
  - libXinerama
  - libXss
  - libXv
  - libXxf86dga
  - libXxf86misc
  - libXxf86rush
  - libXxf86vm
  - libfntstubs
  - liboldX
  - libxf86config
  - libxkbfile
  - libxkbui

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      Mob rule isn't any prettier just
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      because you call your mob a