Re: dpkg -l and other tools do not report all packages?

Previously Erik Steffl wrote:
>   I missed the previous discussions so I would appreciate the update:
> are there any plans to fix the problem (of not having common database of
> known packages)?

Feel free to search the archives.

>   I mean the current situation when I have to go to web page to find out
> which packages are available (or trying different tools based on which
> program I used to update) is quite annoying and since the package system
> is central to debian distro so I think it's important to fix it. ?

One could argue you're not using it consistently by using dpkg
to search and apt to update it. Either use dselect update, or
apt-cache search.

Wichert.

 /       Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool     \
| wichert@wiggy.net                   http://www.liacs.nl/~wichert/ |