Re: grisu and DDTS

On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 04:24:39PM -0400, Itai Zukerman wrote:
> You mean, you don't get an E-mail from the BTS when someone files a
> bug on one of your packages?  Why aren't people screaming for BTS
> opt-outs?

1) The BTS is a well-established mechanism in Debian;
2) There are extensively documented procedures for resolving bug
   reports.  At present, there is nothing package maintainers can do to
   get the translated package descriptions into the package.  As Wichert
   has pointed out time and time again, availability of the data is
   meaningless if the package management system has no interface for
   handling it.

If filed as bugs, these translations would have to all be marked as
"wontfix", since no package maintainer can do anything about them until
dpkg supports localized package descriptions.

This has been reiterated time and time again for weeks, and yet
some advocates of the DDTS mails continue to ignore it.  I don't know
what about it is too difficult to understand.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    I am sorry, but what you have
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    mistaken for malicious intent is