Re: how to fight back against Michael Bramer's spam

On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 01:02:46PM +0200, Michael Bramer wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 12:15:25PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > Previously Christian Kurz wrote:
> > > So you consider those mails about translation of your package
> > > descriptions spam? Do you call then also all those mails "Your package
> > > has been uploaded", "The BTS received the following information", etc.
> > > also spam and use such script to mail-bomb the email-address of their
> > > owner?
> >
> > The difference is that you are directly in control of those so
> > they are solicited mails.
>
> sorry, but how can I stop 'The BTS received the following information'
> and 'Your package has been uploaded' Mails?
>

> IMHO some english speaking people have problems with translations.
> Maybe this is the real problem and they don't know the existence of
> other languages.
>

> First I make the whole translation without the maintainers (I propose
> 'don't include translations in .deb files'. I say 'the maintainer
> don't speak all this languages, they can't check this', ...)
> After this I get some cons ('Don't change/translate _my_ description',
> 'Send notifications', ...)
> Now this is spam. And I read things like 'I can't check this all. I
> can't read japanese.', 'you are my fiend', 'Dead, dead, ...', ...
>
> And I send some mails to ftpmaster, to debian-admin. I don't get any
> response. Someone stop the aptable dir on gluck. Maybe this all
> english speaking people and they don't need translations. But our
> users need translations.
>
> Martin write a patch and some maintainers are only laugh at this.
> We can make a optional package with this patch and test the proposed
> way. Maybe the maintainers have somedays a better way and we remove
> this extra package. But no, we only get cons ("This is not the right
> way", "Wait", "We need a general translation solution", ...)
>

> But I can announce:
>  I have stop all notifications mails to the maintainers now.
>
> Now it is your turn. Now you can say 'Don't translate _my_
> descriptions', ...
>
> If you need it, you can send a patch with a out-in or out-out.
>

> And no, I will not stop the ddts. You are not the winners. The
> notification mails was a support for the package maintainers. It is
> your package and others have spend there time in the improvment of
> your package.
>
> I will continue the translation process and maybe I start other
> projects. And we will get a debian with translated descriptions.

Yes, please keep going with your project. Some people _need_ it.

Even if you stopped the notifications mails, I personnaly would like to keep
receiving those notifications.

Thanks.
--
Eric VAN BUGGENHAUT     "Oh My God! They killed init! You Bastards!"
			--from a /. post