Re: dpkg -l and other tools do not report all packages?

Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Previously Erik Steffl wrote:
> >   why is that? is there any way to get accurate information?
>
> dselect update. If you only use "apt-get update" you only update
> apts database of available packages.

  that basically ruins the package system. having different front-ends
having their own package information does not make any sense.

  dselect is a front-end, dpkg is low level tool, why should dselect be
needed to make dpkg work? why should dselect even be installed?

  am I the only one that sees this as a design flaw (a major one (MS
style))?

  btw: most of other functionality already works the 'right' way - it
does not matter which (front-end) tool I use to install package all
other tools know that the package is installed. it only makes sense that
info about the packages in all other states should be treated the same
way (including packages that are not installed).

	erik