Re: Completely OT, just to quickly prove a point.

On Sat, 2001-09-29 at 02:10, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >>"Rich" == Rich Rudnick <rich@pinute.com> writes:
>
>  Rich> On Sat, 2001-09-29 at 00:08, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>  >> >>"Russel" == Russel Ingram <ringram@acpl.lib.wy.us> writes:
>  >>
>  >> >> RTFM.  see the --revision option.
>  >>
>  >> You asked a technical question. You get a pointer to the
>  >> documentation. That is unhelpful? And why is it insulting? I thought
>  >> the tell a man how to fish was better than spoon feeding a man a fish
>  >> any day.  Do you disagree?
>  >>

>  Rich> This is probably flame bait, but I disagree.
>
>  Rich> RTFM = Read the Fucking Manual.
>
> 	Can we help it if you have a dirty mind? I always translate
>  RTFM to Read the Fine Manual.  And you are displaying your ignorance
>  of a fine USENET tradition; if you are thin skinned enough to be
>  insulted by people telling you to RTFM, man, you probably need to
>  stay away from mailing lists and USENET.
>
>  Rich> Someone curses you in person, you're insulted.  In email, you're not?
>
> 	You carry big chip on your shoulder, and if you want to have a
>  thin skin, you'll feel insulted a lot.
>
> 	manoj

This will probably sound weasely, but I'm on the wrong list.  I thought
I was reading user (I've been bouncing back and forth this evening and
lost track), and some of the people I'm encouraging to try debian were
dismissive of invective sometimes encountered there (I'm steering them
clear of the redhat lists). I was hoping some of the people involved in
this thread might comment on when RTFM is and is not intended to
intimidate.  I defy anyone to tell me that it is not often used
specifically for that purpose, including here on the debian lists. I
should have been more clear, and for that I apologize.

And in response to the incipient flame (which I did bring on myself,
without a doubt) I first began reading usenet in 1984. I was introduced
to it by people on eskimo north out of Seattle, when I was first
flirting with programming, and have even gotten stuff from
rtfm.mit.edu.:P Also, I have never made a judgement on someone's
character, knowledge or experience based on a three line message,
however poorly written, since I was a juvenile.

Rich

--
First impressions are bunk. unknown.