handling password expiration in display managers

Do any display managers (gdm, kdm, xdm, whatever) currently handle
password expiration correctly?  Currently wdm does not handle it at all
(you simply can't log in), and I want to fix it.  What, if anything, is
the standard way for doing this?

CDE's dtwm is the only display manager I've seen that supports password
expiration, which it does by (as far as I can tell) replacing the
standard X session with 'xterm -e passwd'.

I've not done any programming with the PAM libraries, so I don't know
how to catch the expiration message from the pam authentication
routines.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
noah