Re: Graphing Debian Lists

On Fri, Sep 21, 2001 at 10:38:48AM +0200, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> subscriptions add and unsubscribes substract from there.  A graph for a
> statistic is worth nothing if it doesn't have the zero point in it.
> First unit statistics lesson.

Rubbish.  The correct lesson is to learn to always look at the scale
before drawing conclusions. Once you've learnt that, graphs without a
zero point have a place: they show more details. There is certainly no
law against them.

Zero-point graphs would make it easier to compare the different
graphs, certainly, if that's what one wants to do.

Personally the thing that jars me is the inconsistency: some graphs
are scaled so that their vertical variation is more-or-less full
range, whilst others take only a small percentage of the vertical
height.  But there is a limit to the amount of time it's fun to spent
meddling with rrdtool options...

Jules