Re: Graphing Debian Lists

Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
>         Hi!
>
> [Cc me on replies, I'm not subscribed]
>
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2001, Martin Schulze wrote:
> > Gathering data happens all 30 minutes and I've let it run for a couple
> > of days before making this annoncement, so there are some data to
> > show.
>
>  It looks strange that it seems that debian-devel-announce seem on the
> first look to have had no subscribers before you started.  On the second
> look one sees that the bottom of the image is not zero.  Could you
> please change it that it has the zero-point in the graph so the graphs
> can be looked in a _real_ manner and are not some "hey - look at that
> curve!" graphs?   That's the first big lies that any statistic tries to
> make, and we shouldn't do that, IMHO.
>
>  Even you might note on the most lists then just flat lines it makes
> more sense and doesn't leave the people like "Hey, they just seem to
> have started that list, there is a high flow of subscritions in it"...

That's not giving us anything.  It doesn't draw a picture of the
subscribe frequency, nor does it provide a better view of the number
of subscribers.

In fact, the graphs would be quite flat and uninteresting.  The first
version on murphy had them, since the rrdtool in potato was too old.
As an example check out these two graphs of debian-announce.

http://people.debian.org/~joey/stuff/debian-announce-distabs-month.png
http://people.debian.org/~joey/stuff/debian-announce-distabs-normal-month.png

Regards,

	Joey

--
Let's call it an accidental feature.  --Larry Wall