Re: proposal for an Apache (web server) task force

Jonathan McDowell (noodles@earth.li) wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 10:33:39PM -0500, Ardo van Rangelrooij wrote:
> > Martin F Krafft (madduck@madduck.net) wrote:
> > > also sprach Ardo van Rangelrooij (on Thu, 13 Sep 2001 08:42:44AM)
> > > count me in.
> > Excellent!
> >
> > There are a couple of things we can start with:
> >
> >  - filing a request for the mailing list
> >  - putting together a web page similar to that of the X Strike Force
> >    with a link to the packages and their bug lists, a todo list, etc.
> >  - an NMU of the packages with an Uploaders field in the control file
> >    (see the thread about multiple maintainers per package on this list)
> >  - setting up a CVS archive somewhere
> >
> > If I interpret all the responses correctly there're four people on the
> > task force.  I propose we all go over the bug list and make an inventory
> > in terms of difficulty to solve.  That should give us a better idea of
> > the status and how much we can do before the freeze.
>
> I'm keen to help (and have been slowly working on a second NMU of
> Apache to fix some of the current bugs), but I'd really like to see
> something from Johnnie saying this was ok. It's not exactly polite to
> hijack someones package with no input from them. A strike force is
> different than just doing the odd NMU IMO.

I completely agree.  I really would like Johnie to be involved in this.
But sofar we've heard or read nothing from him.  Nothing in response to
the original problem statement and nothing in response to this proposal.
How long should we wait?  A week, a month, ...?  His last message was
from July 17 and he's not marked as being on vacation.

Like I said in the proposal it's not the intention to simply take over.
We're not going to remove his name as maintainer.  For now I see this as
an organized NMU action.  The number of bugs is simply to large to have
only a single person working on it.  I really would like to get as much
done as possible before the freeze.

Thanks,
Ardo
--