Re: proposal for an Apache (web server) task force

On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 11:32:27AM +0300, Ari Makela wrote:
>  > If you need to start it with -X, just do it by hand.  That's what I do
>  > when I'm hacking on mod_dtcl.  I'm not really sure that modes of
>  > operation belong in init.d scripts...
> Possibly, that's just a question of policy. However, I do feel that
> having it in the init script would help novices.
>
> However, checking the configuration before stopping Apache is crucial.

Yes, so long as you can bring it down knowing that it wont start up again,
if you need to. For example, you can do the following for start, stop, and
restart:

	if [ /usr/bin/apachectl configtest ]; then
		if [ /usr/bin/apachectl start ]; then
			echo "started."
		else
			echo "failed to start."
		fi
	else
		echo "The configuration is not valid. Please repair."
	fi

I can't get to it at the moment, but I have flushed out an init script like
this, and its reasuring to see "Configuration OK" (from configtest) when
it starts up.

But you *must* have a "force-stop" or similar; don't withhold people from
being able to shut down if they really must, but make sure they know its
going to take some work to start up again.

Yours,
  James

--
 James Bromberger <james_AT_rcpt.to> www.james.rcpt.to