Re: proposal for an Apache (web server) task force

On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 08:42:44AM -0500, Ardo van Rangelrooij wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to propose to form an Apache (web server) task force to
> maintain the Apache packages currently maintained by Johnie Ingram (netgod)
> (and potentially related packages if the need arises).  The current state of
> Apache and the recent
> need to fix at least some of the outstanding bugs led me to the conclusion a
> more active maintenance of these packages is needed.  The intend of this
> proposal is not to simply take over the packages (although it might come to
> that), but to help in the maintenance of them.

This sounds like a good Idea. Yes I'm late in this discussion but I do
not follow debian-devel extremely regular and I missed this thread. :)

> As the first step I propose to add an Uploaders field to the package (once
> we have a list of people).

I'd like to help. I have a lot of ideas for how to configure apache
from other packages. Right now I have a special system at work but
it is not very compatible with the apache one. I also maintain wwwconfig-common
that does similar things. What I want is a better system because none of
what I have mentioned works very well. Wwwconfig-common works but it
should not exist at all because apache and the database tools should
provide this functionality. :)

See bug #112553 for my ideas of how things should be configured.
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=112553&repeatmerged=yes

Regards,

// Ola

> Some of the other things this task force would do are
>
>  - writing up guidelines for packaging Apache modules (a kind of policy doc)

Great idea. Something like the debian-java policy.

>  - migration to Apache 2 (IIRC an ITP for this has already been filed by somebody)
>
> I also propose to set up a mailing list for this.

Just subscribed. :)

Regards,

// Ola