Re: A language by any other name

On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 04:11:39PM +0200, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> Okey.  Then english SHOULD point to en_UK.ISO-8859-1. If disagreement with
> americans should block this inclusion, portuguese should be removed too.
> Since the most frequencly use portuguese is Brazilian.

Sure. GDM should not be emitting the language names; it should emit the
proper locale names. IMO, the alias file should be purely a local thing;
it's just too adhoc to standardize on, especially as which locales exist
is also local choise.

Anyway, for most people, English is the default language of the system,
and that English is LC_MESSAGES=C, not LC_MESSAGES=en_UK. If we're
changing this for GDM, it'd be better for GDM to call English C or en_US,
so there's no changes.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
"I don't care if Bill personally has my name and reads my email and